Deploying Mainsaver using a Group Policy
Large organizations need a simplified way of deploying the Mainsaver client to end users.
When deploying Mainsaver using a group policy, you need to create a configuration file to include your unique parameters. You can create this file using Microsoft Orca. The only needed component during installation is Tools, located under Microsoft Windows Installer SDK. To deploy Mainsaver with a group policy using MSI:
Step 1 – Open Mainsaver
.msi using Orca and click Transform > New Transform.
- Step 2 – On the Tables pane, click Property.
Step 3 – Add the following parameters :
- SERIALNUMBER (Mainsaver provided serial number)
- CUSTNO (Mainsaver customer number)
Note: This option is designed specifically for group policy deployment.
Step 4 - Click file / save as Mainsaver
Now you can use the MSI file to publish Mainsaver using a group policy. To deploy the MSI package you created, add the package to the Computer Configuration part in group policy.
- A. Open the group policy object editor.
- B. Expand Computer Configuration > Software Settings.
C. From the Right-Click menu, select Software Installation > New > Package...
D. Point to the Mainsaver
- E. Note: It is very important that the path to the Mainsaver MSI file not be local or through a network drive. Rather, the path should be through a network share accessible from everywhere in your network and to which everyone has at least Read permissions on.
F. Under Deployment Method, choose Assigned. If you choose another option, you won't be able to apply the MSI file you created.
G. Add a name for the package for easy identification (e.g. Mainsaver
Using the Mainsaver provided MSI for deployment via Active Directory Group Policy provides an easy way to upgrade, install or remove Mainsaver for multiple users simultaneously.